Wednesday 5 February 2014

After work cycling Brussels

A 45k round that can easily be done afterwork - with the right equipment when it is dark. I have a quite strong headlight with which I can ride even if there is no street light. The 5€ decathlon one will not do. And even if there is street light in the countryside I'd recommend a really strong light. I got a B+M Ixon Pure with 30 Lux that lasts for about 5-6 hours.

The track and map is available here.




I like this way out of town after work because there is a reasonable bike path as from Woluwe Shopping and traffic on Broqueville is not too bad, even at rush hour. From the airport I took the bike path that runs along the highspeed train to Leuven, just until Veltem Beisem. From there a road with hardly any traffic goes to Nederokkerzeel.
from Veltem-Beisem to Nederokkerzeel
This quiet little town has several well paved small country roads that go back towards Brussels. I chose the most direct one, although without any street light. It runs directly towards the airport.
towards the airport
From there I took the same way back. It's just very convenient, especially in the dark.

When I started riding at night as well I felt a bit uneasy in the beginning. But so far I had no problems at all being seen (provided some proper lighting and my neon winter jersey). In fact it's even more secure than during daytime hours I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment